It’s been a long time coming, but now that the backyard renovations have pretty much concluded, it was finally time to construct Oscar’s trampoline – a spanking new Large Vuly Thunder. The original plan was to build it to the left-hand side of the deck (next to the steps), but given that we’ve just forked out a considerable amount of cash for new grass, and given that trampolines are notorious for killing grass, it seemed like perhaps that wasn’t the greatest place to put it. Also, since the new grass is nice and soft, and (at least for the moment) bindi and weed free, it would have been a shame to block half of it with a trampoline.
So instead, we decided that with some minor modifications to the yard, it would probably fit quite nicely just beyond the end of the deck. It was settled!
I cannot understate this enough: building this thing is no easy task. Firstly, the instructions failed to mention that it would take roughly two-and-a-half hours of back-breaking labour to dig an adequately deep trench in order to get the trampoline level. On reflection, this was somewhat surprising; I’d have thought my rigorous routine of lounging at a desk and punching at a keyboard would have had me better prepared.
Secondly, the tolerances for manufacturing are fairly loose, and as such, some pieces fit together better than others. Some pieces don’t fit at all, even though they obviously should. Thirdly, it does not emphasise how crucial the leaf springs are for holding the frame together; this is something you can only find out when you’re (hypothetically) almost finished attaching the mat to the structural leaf springs, and you discover that one of the springs has been inserted backwards, so you pull it out to turn it around only to find that removing the spring causes the frame to come apart, and the only way to get it back together is to pull the mat off and start again. Hypothetically.
Fourth, the instructions definitely don’t mention anything about injuries that you’ll likely sustain trying to attach the springs to the mat. Like my thumb, which got smashed between a spring and the mat. Or the fact that Kristy got punched in the face by a hand flying off a spring which hadn’t attached as we had thought it had.
But, in happier news, the instructions also don’t say that once the springs are attached to the mat, getting the rest of it together is a piece of cake. Perhaps its all relative.
Anyway – all’s well that ends well: Oscar absolutely loves his new trampoline, and my entire body ached so much last night that I went to bed and slept like a zombie. Good times!