Oceans 12

Do yourself a favour – if someone says to you, “hey, you wanna come and see Oceans 12 with me?”, respond with, “no thanks, I need to go to the supermarket and buy some dental floss.”.

In case you don’t know, you can probably guess by the title that this film is the sequal to Oceans 11 – the remake, which stars George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, et al – not the original. The sequal has the same impressive cast, and even adds Catherine Zeta-Jones into the mix. With that many huge names and such an enjoyable first film, one would assume that the sequal is bound for glory…

But sadly, not. I have no doubt that Oceans 12 will still make a pat-load of cash at the box office, but I reckon that most people will walk out as disappointed as I was. The plot is as solid as a puddle, and lacks all the tounge-in-cheek cleverness from the first movie. I also thought that Zeta-Jones was not a good addition, and came across very bland – especially evident in an early scene when she’s making a speech to Europol. The film does have a few saving moments, thanks to the chemistry of Clooney and Pitt and the more developed role played by Matt Damon as Linus Caldwell. But overall, it failed to hold my attention, and I couldn’t help but feeling that my time could have been better spent.

The original gerrod.com rating was 5/10, but I have to -1 since getting to the cinemas meant leaving our toasty warm appartment and braving the coldest night so far in NY. Also, I have to subtract another 2 because Craig convinced me put down my shiny new laptop and go see the film instead. So, Oceans 12 scores a new record gerrod.com low of 2/10.

Posted in movies, reviews
10 comments on “Oceans 12
  1. Dad says:

How does 5 changed to -1 then minus 2 more add up to 2. Ordinary rules of arithmetic would suggest -3 is the answer!<br>Did Kristy pack Betty and Jim?

2. Dad says:

Or did you mean as I suspect you did that you originally scored 5 but then dropped this to 4 and then dropped it further to 2…I guess this is what you meant.<br>Kristy, you can put Betty and Jim back in the cupboard!

Glad you figured it out Dad – perhaps I should have been a bit clearer:<br><br> 5 – 1 – 2 = 2<br><br>Perhaps we need to send Betty and Jim over to you! :-)

4. i hate betty and jim says:

Let’s not use Betty and Jim’s name in vain! I think it is best for all if it remains in the cupboard and is not mentioned again…. come on, it’s supposed to be the festive season.

5. Kim says:

Hmm …. sorry, but WHO is Betty and Jim???

They used to make Math books. Mum and Dad used to make us do "a page of Betty and Jim" if Jason and I were fighting, for a 3 fold effect of:<br><br>  * Learning<br>  * Punishment<br>  * Breaking our spirits<br><br>Thankfully we didn’t see them again after about 10 years old. I can’t find them on Amazon either, so looks like they’ve gone out of business!

7. burger says:

That was punishment?! <br>But MATH ROCKS! That sounds more like fun to me.

You’re a sick man, burger.

9. betty says:

Jim and I have had our troubles over the years but have never been relegated to a cupboard. I would prefer it if u didnt use our names without our prior approval.

10. jim says:

What would you know anyway Betty! We all know that i was the one carrying this operation. Really the books should have just been called Jim!