Are you an end guy, or a middle guy?

I only did a half-day at work today. For the second half, I headed down to Union Square, where Microsoft were holding an MSDN event at the movie cinemas. No, it wasn’t a movie, it was some bird preaching why everyone should be using .NET v2 to develop their web apps.

Admittedly, a lot of what she said wasn’t new to me, as I’ve been using beta versions of .NET v2 for almost a year. Still, I’m somewhat surprised at how hard Microsoft are pushing their new data source controls – or whatever they’re called – which effectively means you bypass the traditional data access layer.

Anyway – somewhat late turning up to the event, I was forced to sit in the 2nd row, right near the end. Turns out that sitting in the 2nd row for a presentation is no better than sitting in the 2nd row for a movie – lots of neck craning. Being near the end, I couldn’t help but notice that I had to stand up to let people past in the narrow aisles as required.

So I was struck with a question – is it better to be the guy on the aisle, who has to keep getting up to let people past, or the dude in the middle, who doesn’t have to get up for anyone, but instead has to exuse their way past the entire row? Tough call.

Posted in technical
8 comments on “Are you an end guy, or a middle guy?
  1. kristy says:

I say, arrive early and sit in the middle. Then you don’t have to deal with either of the problems you mentioned and the only downside is the <i>very</i> slow evacuation at the end of the presentation/movie/concert.

2. Meegan says:

oooh, good question G! <br>I think I’d rather be the good guy on the end, not the baddy who has to excuse him/herself lots and disrupt all the other patrons!

3. Scott says:

<NerdComment><br>I am in two minds about these controls – don’t enterprise apps need a business layer between the interface and the database?<br><br>How do these controls fare with the 3-tier architecture?<br><br></NerdComment>

Hey Scott – the basic idea is that you drag a data source control onto your form, and it does all the "plumbing" for you – writes the insert/update/delete statements. So you don’t need a business layer per se, you just do all the work in the code-behind.<br><br>Another example was that she grabbed a table from a SQL database (all in VS.NET), and dropped it onto a web form. Sure enough, when she ran the solution, the whole thing was "live" – she could update, delete, sort, and page. Impressive for a novice I suppose – but the HTML it produces is horiffic. I’m still a big fan of the more traditional approach.

5. dad says:

horiffic meaning lots and lots or horrible code or what?

Both – lots and lots of horrible code.

7. Scott says:

That is something similar available in Ruby On Rails (http://www.rubyonrails.org/).<br><br>Point it to a table, generate, and the add/edit/delete screens are generated via reflection. No code generation.

8. Cam says:

IBM (under the Rational brand) have a similar product for JAVA. It produces horrible code too!<br><br>Nothing beats doing it by hand ;)