Almost vegetarian

We decided that when we came back from Australia, we’d start eating more vegetarian meals, for a few reasons. Most importantly, we figure it’s a good way of injecting more vegetables into our diet – generally we eat far too few. Also, food is much cheaper when you don’t have to buy meat. Plus, Cathy will be proud of us :-).

So for the last 2 days, we’ve eaten a lot of vegetarian meals. Well, when I say a lot, I mean 3 – which is 3 more than I previously would have eaten. 2 days running I’ve had the “vegetarian bol” for lunch, from Bender’s favourite restaurant – Chipotle. (Truth be told, I’ve actually had Chipotle for lunch for 3 days running, but on the first day I had a pork burrito). Here’s what their vege-bol consists of:

• Rice
  • Black beans (yes Natalie, I really ate black beans!)
  • Salsas – both mild (tomato, onion, basil, olive oil), and hot (basically just purred chili, and by hot I mean freakin’ hot!)
  • Cheese
  • Guacamole
  • Lettuce

It doesn’t sound like a lot when you list it like that, but actually it’s very filling, and really tasty.

Tonight we’re having Fabia round for dinner, who claims she’s a vegetarian that “makes frequent exceptions”. Ha! Whatever. But still, Kristy is being nice enough to comply with these wishes by making some bruschetta for an entree, and a pumpkin risotto for mains. Tasty!

Posted in food
10 comments on “Almost vegetarian
  1. Michelle says:

Good work guys! Cath’s fantastic cooking will definitely inspire you to make the most of veges. I cook a few of her creations – I’ll pass on her recipe for Fetta, Garlic and Roasted Vegetable Pie..mm..mmm!

2. marc says:

Can’t say I understand the concept of Vegetarians. For me it’s not a meal unless it has some meat in it! I think you could count the number of times I’ve eaten Vegetarian on one hand.

But, at least you’ll have something to look forward to whenever you come back to Australia. Nothing like a steak on the barbie!

Speaking of which, I just got a hankering!

3. Cath says:

Wow – that’s awesome! I’ll send you guys some recipes :-)

Marc, have you ever tried vegiemeat? ;-) I always take my soy sausages along to BBQs so I can still feel Australian :-)

4. Michelle says:

I’d love a copy of any of your faves too Cath!

5. jaimee says:

yeah, please count me in on the recipies Cath!

Cath, I think you’re going to have to publish a book!

And Marc, I’m not surprised you’re anti-vegetarian… do you even eat mushrooms yet? :-)

7. Cath says:

Hey guys – I am so excited that you are all interested in trying some more vegie recipes! I’ll post some of my favourite ones to our blog soon…

8. jason says:

I’m with you Marc, meat all the way! Sure, veges can be on the side, but there is nothing that beats a nice slab of cow on the barbie!

9. Kirstin says:

who claims she’s a vegetarian that “makes frequent exceptions”

I think the term you’re looking for is “selectatarian”.

As a new years resolution I decided that John and I should become selectatarian ourselves. Tuesdays and Thursdays is meant to be our non meat days. However, we often forget and end up having what ever is available in the fridge.

10. dad says:

Perhaps now you will develop a liking for Rice and Peas!