An inconvenient truth

Do yourself a favour. Do me a favour. In fact, do the whole world a favour.

Go and see this film.

Film critic Roger Ebert summed the situation up perfectly by saying, “In 39 years, I have never written these words in a movie review, but here they are: You owe it to yourself to see this film. If you do not, and you have grandchildren, you should explain to them why you decided not to.”

I guarantee you, this film will change the way you think about the world. The film – effectively a documentary – is about Al Gore’s mission to present the facts on global warming to the entire world, and to influence a change that will combat the problem. His presentation is extremely motivating; if you have any doubts what-so-ever that global warming is occurring right now, then you should be the first one lining up for a ticket.

Since coming out of the film, we’ve already started changing our actions as much as possible to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. First thing we did was change our energy supply to Green Energy. (You should too! Just find a green energy supplier and make the switch.) Next on our list today is to replace all our lightbulbs with CFL bulbs.

After that, who knows? Maybe we’ll go and plant some trees.

Go see the film. gerrod.com rating – 11/10.

Posted in movies
13 comments on “An inconvenient truth
  1. Stack says:

holy crap dude, sounds like it really made an impression on you two! Wes and I shall see where it’s playing straight away! Also, we’ve been green energy through energex for over a year, it’s more expensive, but worth it for peace of mind.

The following information, is an extremely uninformed person’s opinion and not meant to upset anyone.

I’m all for “the man” making a contribution but it is only when the government puts the squeeze on things will anything really change.

Changing over to Green Energy, using different light bulbs, is a start, but if you keep using your grinder and espresso machine, or use an airplane to fly somewhere, or plug in your xbox, or god forbid drive a car, are we really gonna solve the problem or just slow it down?

Oil needs to become prohibitively expensive. Governments need to invest everything they’ve got into an alternate energy source with zero carbon dioxide emissions.

The only viable alternate energy source currently around is nuclear power.

So if you really want to make a difference help find a way to do away with the nuclear waste problem and we’ll be laughing for a few more years.

Heck, even your grandchildren will be laughing for a few more years.

My 2cents.

3. Cath says:

Hmmm. It definitely is a complex problem. And it does feel like – where on earth do we start? I’ll start by seeing the movie…

4. Michelle says:

So, yeah, just sort out the nuclear waste issue, will you Gerry.

Easy!

5. KJ says:

Btw: if you’re interested, check out the “essential reading” article (on the right side of gerrod.com) titled “The US potential for wind power”. Offshore wind power looks like a very interesting power alternative and the two project proposals mentioned are in our neighbourhood…

Wind energy is an interesting power supplement. I say supplement and not alternative because to benefit from it (ie. produce electricity) the wind must be blowing. There is no way to store electricity.

So in the windy offshore area the article suggests it may be a good investment. However, you still need a baseline solution for providing energy 24/7 365.

Every little bit helps though.

If only we could install a pipe from the sun and transfer all the energy back from it.

Looks like the film doesn’t come out in Australia until September :-(.

Racey: Glad that you’re on Green Power. You go girl!

B: I see what you’re saying, but I disagree. Biomass is a good alternative for “on demand” fuel. Electric cars are an excellent start for transportation alternatives. So is taking mass transit. Best of all, walking and riding is not only good for the environment, but it’s good for you!

I agree with the airplane point, and I have no alternatives for that one :-|.

Regarding storage of energy, well to be honest I have no idea what is and isn’t possible. But I heard a quote once that said, “if the world had spent as much time and money investing in solar power as what they have in nuclear power, then we’d have no need for oil. But you can’t make solar powered weapons…”

And provided my espresso machine, grinder, and XBox are all powered by the wind (/solar energy/biomass), I’ll be well caffinated, and well entertained :-).

Cathy: The film’s website has a whole bunch of suggestions for reducing your carbon footprint. Check it out!

Michelle: OK, I’ll get right to work! :-) Actually I heard that Australia was seroiusly looking into the issue of becoming experts in nuclear waste disposal. Something about having a huge mass of land that otherwise can’t really be used. So who knows?

8. Susan Stubbings (nee Lindsay)! says:

Now could everyone turn their attention to finding more water!

9. Cath says:

Yikes. I read the web site through and now I feel very guilty. We do a few of the energy saving/carbon dioxide reducing ideas (like eating less meat!!) but we could still improve enormously. One that stood out to me was the unneccesary use of our clothes dryer. I’ll stop being lazy and our clothes will now go back out into the fresh air and sunshine.

10. laura-london says:

There is a for-profit agency in London call the Carbon Neutral company – their objective is to assist businesses and individuals to become carbon neutral. We all know that we produce carbon (when we fly, when we drive, when we put the heating on) so this agency proposes that you invest money into projects to neutralise your emmissions (like planting trees and/or facilitating hydo-projects in developing countries).

Well worth checking out. The calculators are SCARY – a flight home will produce 3.75 tonnes of CO2!!!

Here is an interesting article that gauges the “climate change scientific community’s” opinion on Al Gores movie.

So far as I see it, there’s 3 stances you can take:

1. You believe everything presented in the movie word for word, move to a commune, and become a hippie;
    2. You write off evreything presented in the movie, buy yourself a Chevy Avalanche (complete with 5.3L V8), and burn as much carbon dioxide as you possibly can; or
    3. You take the movie with a grain of salt, but still heed the warning that our world is precious and we should do what we can to leave a smaller footprint on the earth.

I don’t think switching to green power, using more energy efficient lightbulbs/appliances, and having a lower reliance on cars is a bad thing. Even from a purly selfish point of view – the less crap we put into the atmosphere, the better it will be on our lungs.

Now stop procrastinating, go and see the freakin’ movie, and then tell me what you think! :-)

Here’s another link, but this one shows that scientists agree with Al Gore’s assertions that burning fossil fuels is a major contributing factor to global climate change.

But a better read is this link from RealClimate.org which discusses the science from the movie in a fairly balanced way:

For the most part, I think Gore gets the science right… The small errors don’t detract from Gore’s main point, which is that… the United States have the technological and institutional ability to have a significant impact on the future trajectory of climate change. This is not entirely a scientific issue — indeed, Gore repeatedly makes the point that it is a moral issue…