7:49 AM

Chris was away from work today, so I came in a little earlier than usual to cover for him. Usually I get to the platform around 8:05 AM for the 8:07 AM train (which, without fail, arrives at 8:09 AM). Today though, I hit the platform at 7:49 AM.

Catching the early train

What a huge difference 15 minutes makes! On the downside, you can see, it wasn’t exactly “bright” (and given that the train came at 7:51 AM (about two minutes after the photo), it also wasn’t exactly “early” either) – but on the upside, there was so much more room in the train! For example: I could stand comfortably without people ramming me with their shoulders, and not once did I hear anyone shout, “could you move down the carriage please?”!

I’m going to try getting this train more often if I can; it means my mornings are a bit more rushed, but in theory it also means I can leave work earlier. (Not today though, 6:30 PM and I’m still here… *sigh*)

Posted in everyday life, uk
6 comments on “7:49 AM
  1. kj says:

I actually got smacked in the head on the train this morning. Someone had their arm reached around my shoulders to hold a grab pole (i gave up on defending my personal space a long time ago) and as they let go of the pole and moved away they smashed me in the head and knocked my glasses off.

Nobody even blinked. Except me who fought back tears.

2. Stac says:

Oh KJ that’s crap! I would have punched them for you.
    I was a big earlier train person when in London, it’s worth the early morning for a bit of train space.

I forgot how miserable London can look/be in Winter… *shiver*…

That sux KJ. I can’t remember how many times I got an elbow or a bag to the face as someone squirmed their way on/off the carriage.

4. squirrel says:

This morning I must have left the house just 12 minutes before you (you can see my train arriving on platform 4) and it was properly night time when I stepped out of the house. We are nearly at the winter solstice though, so in just one week things will start to get better. Or to put a glass-half-empty spin on it, our mornings and afternoons will continue to get darker and darker for another week.

5. viiviiviivii says:

Man, I leave for london at 0620 each morning so I know what you’re talking about! So, so dark at that time!

I have to say this morning, I woke up in Fulham and waiting there as four completely full trains passed was really frustrating!

You can’t win wherever you are! :)

6. Kirstin says:

I’m lucky if I can get on the train in the momrning. More often then not I have to let a few pass me by before I squeeze myself on. If I go later, I am more likely to get on. This is my excuse for coming into work at 10 every day.