Grande Florida getaway

Kristy and Oscar picked me up from work on Thursday afternoon, and together, we all headed to Mom and Dad’s unit at Grand Florida for a long weekend of fun in the sun. We were lucky to have amazing weather the whole time we were there – much more like the Australian summers that we remember!

With such amazing weather, we tried to maximise our time at the beach, and even gave little Oscar his first ever play in the ocean! Unfortunately, he was not a fan – the water was a bit too chilly for his liking! Still, at least he got his feet wet (both physically and metaphorically), and I’m really looking forward to the day when he’s racing to beat me in to the waves!

Oscar in the surf

We were joined by our buddies the Threebies on Saturday, and we all ventured out for a game of boules in the afternoon. Mom decided not to come, but after proving herself to be an absolutely unstoppable boules player on Friday, it was probably for the best! It was an old-fashioned showdown – Thomases vs. Priebes – and in the end… well, actually I can’t remember who won, but it was pretty close!

Boules on Miami Beach

Kristy had the bright idea to bring along some sparklers. Originally, she had intended them to be for the kids, but of course, we had to give them a trial run first! So with the babies tucked safely in bed on Saturday night, and with Nonni and Poppi on guard duty, Kristy and I headed down to the beach with team BaM for a bit of sparker writing fun.

Sparkling Oscar

Team BaM

Ahh, the long exposure shot!

I absolutely love the weekend getaway, and I’m so pleased we got to enjoy such awesome weather with some awesome people. Even better, my skin is at least one or two shades less London after spending so much time in the sun – covered in sunscreen, of course!

Check out the other photos from the weekend in the picasa online gallery or on facebook.

Posted in bam, life in australia, oscar
6 comments on “Grande Florida getaway
  1. aubain says:

Those long exposure shots are amazing! sounds like a great weekend.

2. Julian says:

Yeah, those long-exposure shots really are amazing … although I initially thought you had tried to spell “ocean” with an “s”.

Yes, the exclaimation point at the end of “Oscar” does blend a little too well with the “r”… but the connectivity of the writing is very impressive! (That was Kristy’s attempt at “Oscar” – on my attempt, I got the “s” back-to-front.)

4. KJ says:

We also threw a couple of (lime, chilling, garlic, ginger) shrimp on the barbie, had a jug of lemon lime and bitters and an awesome lunch at the palm beach surf club, cooked a Bunnungs-worthy sausage sizzle and had a little sleep in while Nanny, oops I mean Nonni, watched Oscar. What a weekend!

5. Al says:

OOOOOOHHHH Oscar! I see… I was wondering what Osean was :P

Great long exposures dude – I need a tripod. Did you use fully manual for it?
    Any chance of posting the photo meta data?

Hey Al!

Actually they were sans-tripod; conveniently there was a park bench overlooking the beach which we used as a makeshift tripod instead! I also used a 2 second timer to prevent camera shake from hitting the trigger.

RE: Metadata, if you check out the picasa album, you can look at any photo and a summary of the metadata is on the right-hand side of the photo; if you click “full details page” you get to see all the gory bits and pieces. Here’s the metadata page for one of the Oscar shots. Enjoy! :-)

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Grande Florida getaway"
  1. gerrod.com says:

[...] dark coastal sky provided an excellent setting for some Grande Florida style sparkler writing, but none of us were able to come up with anything that looked convincingly legible! I’m not [...]