My turn for surgery

Being the loving, caring guy that I am, I felt it wasn’t fair to be putting poor Leo through all this surgery without stepping up to the plate and having a burl myself. So yesterday, I trotted along to St Andrew’s Hospital in the city where I had an operation to correct my deviated septum.

As instructed, I fronted up at hospital bright and early at 6:30 AM, where I was checked in and soon taken down to the surgical waiting area. “Waiting” being the operative word there; I sat around for about two-and-a-half hours before being called through to get changed into a gown and then placed into the holding bay. Another two hours waiting there, and I was taken through to a bed. I thought for sure it must be almost my turn, given that I heard lots of other people around me being brought to a bed then taken almost immediately, but I ended up falling alseep and being woken almost two hours later!

Finally, at around 2:30 PM I was wheeled into the theatre. I have to admit that I was feeling a little bit nervous, having never been under a general anaesthetic before. The anaesthetist (which I’ve decided most people pronounce incorrectly by dropping the first ‘s’) put a cannula into my arm and said, “you may start feeling a bit dizzy soon”. Sure enough, the room soon started spinning, so I closed my eyes. Next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery ward, where a woman was very insistently asking me how I was feeling.

My memory is a bit blurry after that, but I know it was about 5:30 PM when I was wheeled to the ward, feeling a little worse for wear but overall not too bad. I had a headache, my throat was very sore (from having a breathing tube down there) but as it turns out my nose barely hurt at all. That didn’t stop it from bleeding quite a bit though, so I had to wear cold packs on my head and neck all night, plus a piece of green gauze under my nose to soak up the blood – somewhat like a terrible green moustache. It was not my finest hour.

Post surgery

After a fairly ordinary night’s sleep though, things started looking up. The headache had gone, the bleeding had subsided, and my throat was starting to feel better. The surgeon came through at about 9 AM to check up on me, then the pharmacist came and delivered my prescriptions, and by 10:30 AM, I was on my merry way!

So now I’m back at home, in recovery for a few days no doubt, but hopefully well on the way to being fully mended. The surgeon’s theory is that once all the swelling has gone done, I’ll once again be able to smell and breathe through my nose at the capacity I could when I was a kid, so I’m thoroughly looking forward to seeing if that’s true. My sense of smell is (/was?) shocking!

Posted in the sickness
19 comments on “My turn for surgery
  1. David Durham says:

That image screams…..GET ME COFFEE

2. Dani Cooke says:

I didn’t know you had a deviated septum! Did Jason break your nose?

3. Wow ! wern’t we suppose to pick you up. ???

4. Steve Oh says:

That’s a great impression of Inspector Clouseau

5. Janelle – Dad came and got me, so all good!

6. Did we forget? Or did dad volunteer?

No Dani – I’m just “lucky” I guess!

8. Hope you are feeling better soon! I accompanied Ethan for a similar operation plus his tonsils and adenoids removed in September. … not pleasant but hopefully for the best!

9. Any chance you have 10m of bandage stuffed up your nose as well? Enjoy the recovery by catching up on tv shows!!!

10. Tim Callanan says:

Does a “deviated septum” involve the removal of a gerbil from a place where such an animal is not normally kept?

11. Tim Callanan says:

Oh, and get well soon

12. Get well soon Kramer, I mean Gerrod

13. Aubain Noel says:

Wow – glad it went well! Amazing picture too

14. Mr Ed says:

:( I hope things turn the corner for you lot.. it seems like things get rougher and rougher.

15. Robyn says:

Being to look like Groucho Marx. Hope you recover quickly.

16. Dude… that green moustache is impressive! You guys are going through so much. I love your positivity and upbeat attitude! You’ll conquer the world with it you know! Get better soon. We’re well overdue for a gathering… You get better, Stu can do his 4 week solo holiday and we’ll catch up in June?

17. Bill Foley (v.senior) says:

Having almost entirely lost my sense of smell, probably due to inhalation of styrene monomer in fibreglass boatbuilding, I can report it has some advantages:
    1. greatly reduced need to shower or change clothes
    2. greatly increased seating room on my local bus
    With a green moustache, maybe a bus all to myself.

18. Carolyn says:

All fun aside, that is not a nice operation. I had one similar back when I was in my 20′s.
    Get well soon.